Moffett forklifts are used in multiple industries for the material handling job. And, because of this, the accidents caused by this equipment are also very common. They can cause minor to severe injuries, including several deaths every year. However, the good thing is that these accidents can easily be prevented.
So, here are some tips to avoid forklift accidents and promote warehouse safety.
1. Make Sure Moffett Forklift Operators Are Fully Trained
The untrained forklift operators are the primary reason why accidents happen. In fact, it can be hazardous if they are in the wrong hands, so you must take training seriously.
If you think operators are struggling with a forklift, it’s better to get them the assistance they need before someone gets hurt.
2. Inspect Equipment on Daily Basis
It is essential to examine the forklift daily. These checks by shift supervisors help in identifying and logging any defects. Any machine that needs repair should not be allowed to operate that day. The everyday things to check includes:
- Test out the operating controls, like brakes, horns, steering wheels, and light.
- See if the mast or overhead guard has any damages.
- Check the fluid levels and tire.
- Check oil, water, and any radiator leaks.
- Make sure the forklift has no cracks or distortions.
3. Keep the Visibility At 360°
Make sure to tell the operators to keep the forks lower to the ground for better visibility. If the load is restricting the view, ask them to drive in reverse. Also, ensure they have a good rack view while loading the cargo. Additional best practices that the operator can follow include:
- Look in the direction of travel.
- Make eye contact with workers and pedestrians.
- Use rear-view mirrors for better visibility.
- Use headlights when working outside, at night, or in the areas where additional lights are needed.
4. Introduce A Floor Marking System
A floor marking system is the best way to ensure the operator’s safety and the people working around at the warehouse. Use yellow markings to highlight the area prone to stumbling and falling. The red to point towards fire hazards, equipment, and emergency switches.
Also, make sure to put way-finders and signs so the pedestrians can stay away from the piggyback truck and forklift path. It will make sure the safe route and improve the overall traffic flow.
5. Never Carry Extra People on Piggyback Truck and Forklift
Do not allow extra workers to ride on the forklift unless a second seat is fitted on it. And, don’t use the forks to lift people, as they are designed to pick up the loads. If you need to lift a person, make sure to use a secure work platform.
- Pay Attention to Equipment Stability
Instruct the operators to make sure their hands and shoes are dry and sit in a comfortable position. Doing so will keep all the controls within reach and maintain the forklift stable while driving.
These are a few of the tips and tricks to operate the Moffett forklifts safely. These are all recommended by the Moffett sellers like Truck Forklifts. We hope you incorporate them to ensure the safety of your warehouse and the people working in it.
Read More Articles on F1 Radical